March: What are you doing this Earth Hour?
What will you find here?
You will find out about Earth Hour which takes place on 24th March. You will match up expressions of strong intention which will make your speaking very persuasive if you use them, and you will come up with ideas of things to do for Earth Hour. Teachers: a PowerPoint version for class: What are you doing this Earth Hour!
Starting as a symbolic lights out event in Sydney in 2007, Earth Hour is now the world’s largest grassroots movement for the environment, inspiring millions of people to take action for our planet and nature. What do you think people will do for Earth Hour and why?
While you watch
Watch the video. Are people doing the things you thought of in Preparation? Are some of them doing different things? Why are they doing them?
Check your understanding
After you’ve watched the video, decide if the following are true or false:
- Earth Hour happens in countries all across the world.
- Earth Hour is about governments and businesses doing things to protect the world.
- According to Leonardo DiCaprio, we cannot reverse climate change.
- In many cities, the lights are switched off from famous buildings.
Match up the phrases:
|A. so must individuals.|
| 2. It’s difficult to get people
|B. unite and protect Earth.|
| 3. When I look at my children
|C. to understand that…|
| 4. If I don’t do it,
|D. but the tools are in our hands|
|5. Governments and businesses must step up||E. protect the ocean, the forest, the rivers|
|6. It’s a commitment to||F. I always think I should try to create a better future for them.|
|7. We all know that reversing the course of climate change will not be easy||G. then nobody else will.|
What do you think?
Go and speak to someone about the following, or post your views as a comment here.
- What is happening, or what could happen where you live for Earth Hour?
- What difference can such an event make?
- What other things do people need to do to protect the Earth as well as celebrating Earth Hour?
Check your understanding. 1. T, 2. F, it’s individuals and communities too, 3. F, he believes we still can 4. T
Language point. 1. E, 2. C, 3. F, 4. G, 5. A, 6. B, 7. D
PowerPoint Slides for teachers:
What are you doing this Earth Hour